Wednesday, May 24, 2017

May AHIQ Update

Just wanted to update before the big holiday weekend engulfs me completely. Too much to do and not enough time to get it done in! Finally managed to finish the applique border on my Improv. Woven Basket. It finishes out at approx. 73" square, so I think it's probably large enough to leave it be now. It seems I have had a steady diet of applique work lately. When I get one project finished up, the next two crop up right behind it!
Improv. Woven Basket quilt is finished!
The basket started out as an Adhoc. Improv. strings challenge to myself and then the appliqued flowers jumped on board. It's ended up being so much brighter than I expected with the flowers in the borders having a sharp, intense look to them. I think this is a quilt that will be wonderful looking with some hand quilting texture. Right now it feels good, but like it's missing something. Possibly, just an appliqued year up on that middle, pale lavender border unit directly above the basket handle. Will be pondering this for awhile I'm sure.

Then there's the brown/red/gold coin sashing that crashed and burned on the last attempt. I went very old school this time with some classic looking baskets in antique-y colors for the alternate blocks. Still haven't managed to find time to piece the rows, but the handles are appliqued down on the basket blocks and that was basically the only thing holding me back. Now I don't have any time to spend in the quilt room so they're on hold once again.
Coins & Baskets
All these baskets are making me want to make more baskets, which is really not surprising at all. I do rather have a fondness for them.*wink  The coins in the above quilt have been interesting, but I think because the project has had a couple false starts, I just want it done and over with. My mind keeps spinning around with the what-if's and too, the colors could be a little more fun. I'm actually quite relieved to see the vintage/antique direction it's taken, but just not in the mood this season.
Basket Love
So I just went and did it. Started another adhoc. improv. project. This one will have vertical columns of coins as I've never done that and they just keep coming back to haunt me. Also, there will be columns of improv. baskets, all very simple, in various sizes. This satisfies the '2-block' challenge that Kaja set up and lets me continue to play in this series of ideas that all seem to be generated by the one before. {Would you believe I'm also thinking seriously about making another big basket quilt?}. I dithered and dithered and dithered some more, about whether or not to make all the baskets the same size, finally deciding they had to be 'make-do'. Don't want this quilt to look too purposeful.

The basket columns will end up being a bit of a puzzle piece trying to get them all to fit properly but I'm looking forward to the challenge. This project feels very fun already. haha  Remind me of that when I'm trying to get the baskets to play nice together next month! Just need to get these free-hand handles stitched down to the background fabrics and then it will be full steam ahead. 

All the squares for the baskets background were cut without a ruler, then matched up to a similar sized square in the basket fabrics, crosscut and then one half of the basket square {a triangle} was used for a basket handle. I just grabbed the scissors and started cutting so there are short ones, fat ones, and skinny ones! There are no repeats in basket fabrics used, but for every background fabric {the brown} there will be two similar backgrounds. Are you confused yet? Don't worry. There is a plan that may or may not be jettisoned as soon as the project progresses! 

As an interesting aside, I had a touch or two of anxiety while free-cutting the squares for the baskets, but overall I feel very optimistic. No matter how it shakes down, I can make this work. As Monica observed in her recent post, some of us work better within some boundaries, whether self induced or not! Thanks to Ann and Kaja for another interesting Adhoc. Improv. challenge!

27 comments:

  1. I am currently on some baskets and I like how you've done the handles on a half triangle, fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "so I just went and did it" attitude is what produces some really great quilts! All of your basket projects are fabulous. I will look forward to seeing how your Basket Love evolves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I love this big basket quilt, and I am 100% in favour of another! Those bright green leaves are the perfect complement to the browns in the centre. And what a good idea to make baskets one of your two blocks! I think you are having a lot of fun here. :D

    And thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the improv basket. It just sings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Genius idea to turn those strip blocks into a basket. The flower border really finishes it off so well. I like the autumn tones in the coin strips and basket blocks. Keep up the good work. Cute handles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you certainly can turn your hand to so many different things all working so well here

    ReplyDelete
  7. And just like that you have a series. I love that you keep coming back to the baskets, pushing what you can do with them. The Improv Woven Basket has worked out so well, and I agree some hand stitching will transform it. As for the other two, can't wait to see what happens next. Thanks for linking up with AHIQ.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your basket quilts! The woven basket and Basket Love especially, pink is my favorite color.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all those flowers spilling out of the basket--and the border tulips-- so pretty; looking forward to seeing how it progresses...Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend...happy "improv"--ing hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE your basket quilts, especially The Great Big Basket!!! I've made several basket quilts and even did a program for our quilt Guild all on basket quilts from queen sized to mini! And I love "real" baskets too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you have really jumped into Improv haven't you - continue to have your fun and your creativity is great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the Improv Woven Basket - the scale of the basket is just wonderful. Such a great imagination you have!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love reading your posts and how you share your process! Your baskets are some of my favorites - keep going!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE your big basket with the tulip border--well, they look like tulips to me. It's a lighter palette for you. Maybe that's why it feels like something is missing? Whatever, I'm sure you'll find the magic that makes it feel just right to you. Sounds like you're on a roll with a "basket series." I love basket quilts. You can never have too many.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A tisket a tasket you have a lot of baskets! And I really like them all! That appliqued border really is a hit with that wonderful big improv basket. And I LOVE the coins and baskets. Right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I can't WAIT to see where these baskets take you! I always love basket quilts, especially yours!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So many beautiful baskets. The Coins make a good weave when laid out as you did. Love the flower border. I'm falling for light borders these days; they look so summery and open.
    The unmeasured baskets intrigue me, especially since you plan to mix vertical Coins with them. I'm enjoying my vertical design; the one I hadn't tried. And I really like the way you made wide sashing from the second set of Coins. What a great mix with the baskets.
    I'm glad you're working on a series. Thanks for linking these ideas up with AHIQ. So much thought and insight.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lots of improv goodness here!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The big basket full of flowers just makes me smile. It's a feel good kind of quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lots of improv basket love here! You are going to be busy, and I can't wait to see more.....

    ReplyDelete
  21. sweet tulips surrounding your basket. Looks fun and folky
    I just finished a little basket quilt myself.
    thanks for sharing your inspirations!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You win the prize for the biggest basket! I didn't know it was so large. What fun with the flowers all around and in. It will shine with some hand stitching for sure!

    I really, really like the coins and baskets. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very beautiful and it's truly unique and improv.
    When everybody's improv starts looking like everybody elses improv
    then I kinda think it's not improv any more.
    It's funny how that happens. A new idea comes along then it gets copied to death. I guess we are a bit like lemmings that way.

    ReplyDelete
  24. love the idea. Perhaps put the baskets in rows down the quilt, strippy fashion, with coping blocks at one end or the other to fill in the spaces where they are not all the same?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the coins and baskets. Interested to see how it grows or develops. Warm greetings

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just adore your giant basket...those flowers are So Cute! Now I want to applique flowers on something. hee hee!

    I like your brown coins with those baskets. Very vintage, but they do have an autumn feel to them, so I can see why you're not drawn to work on them right now.

    There is no such think as too many basket quilts! I'm drawn to them too, and have quite a few around here. There's just something about a basket....

    ReplyDelete
  27. Interesting design with the Coins and Baskets. I have not seen coin strips used in that manner and find it oh so interesting. Those are my kind of colors and will look forward to seeing more of the project.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.