Tuesday, May 16, 2017

It's a Wrap!

My goal this year is to have more finishes than great starts. It's been really tough at times as I feel like there's a leash attached to my creativity. But I'm trying. 
Summers End is a finish!
This quilt {Summer's End} was started in the fall of 2015 and was a quick journey to completed quilt top. I had lots of reasons for putting this quilt together, but mostly I was challenging myself to use up some oldy green fabrics. Plus I needed a fast little hand work project. Which meant the initial decisions were made quickly and without a lot of deep thought. Hmm...
Looking so much better in a close up...
So yeah. It is what it is and I can't say that I'm ashamed of it! But I knew it was lacking just a little bit of that 'ooh, la la' factor that gets us excited to keep quilting. I pulled it out of the quilt drawers this spring in anticipation of finishing it up for a young couple in our family. {Very belated wedding gift, but I felt that I needed time to consider the matter of quite possibly setting a precedent?}There was just something about this quilt top that I really thought could be salvaged into something fun. Thus the decision to try 'tying' a quilt once again after about 20 years!
My fantastic helper, in between baseball season and summer job.
Mom! My arms are killing me!! Are you done yet?
In my reading, wool yarn was suggested for ties that balled up rather than stayed stringy. I went ahead and made the purchase and now, after the first washing, I have very fuzzy, frazzled little ties. It's a bit raggedy looking at the moment, but I'm confident after some good use and more washes, this quilt will have little balls of pink yarn to look at. Personally, I think it adds to the fun, young and don't-take-me-too-seriously vibe going on with this quilt.
The green looks different in every light...
It was quite the experience trying to remember how to 'tie' a quilt properly and I made a couple mistakes. The biggest one being that I didn't tie square knots, instead just knotting it repeatedly and pulling on it real tight. Ughh. There will probably be a couple ties come out eventually if the yarn doesn't fuzz up quickly. Oh well! I machine quilted in a stitch-in-the-ditch pattern throughout the quilt and then came back and hand quilted every little basket with perle cotton. This thing will NOT be falling apart with or without the ties!
Trying to re-learn how to tie a quilt
The soft pink colored ties and binding help lighten the entire quilt up, which I felt it desperately needed. In the end I'm quite happy with the soft, loose drape of the quilt and the cozy look as well. This quilt will probably be used snuggling on the couch and it has the look of a something that won't be intimidating to eat popcorn and snackies while wrapped up in. Right?
A true-blue finish!
This is a pattern that looks marvelous done in the antique look such as sharp red baskets with a white background--all solid fabric punch and power. This one is lots softer and comes off very blendy with that floral basket fabric sort of sparkling in and out. It's not a perfect quilt by any means and I could have done a much better job choosing my fabrics. But it's a finish now and honestly, it just whets my appetite to work on more basket quilts. Get ready my friends, it's going to be a baskety summer around here in my little corner of the quilt world!

25 comments:

  1. I absolutely love pink and funky green! Great quilt. So interesting that you've tied it, too. Yes, I would have SID around the blocks, too. I hate having quilts come apart.
    Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes our hands just need something to stitch, don't they? I love wool ties on quilts. I love how they get the little balls and nearly never, ever come out. I think they give quilts a sweet, old-fashioned feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is good to complete an old ufo, this looks great, have not tried tying a quilt thinking maybe I will have a go too

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! And "done" is a great stamp on it! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks great to me - I thought that the purpose of tying a quilt was that you did it instead of quilting - I don't know if I ever saw one done both ways - I assume you wanted the ties more as a decoration focal point? I have never tied a quilt because I was afraid it would fall apart - that the ties would come undone - by doing it the way you did that certainly won't be a problem

    ReplyDelete
  6. How weird...I just got done tying a quilt too. A very old one I wanted to finish. AND I also machine stitched some on it.

    Congrats to you on finishing another gift up!

    And...always looking forward to baskets, baskets, baskets in any shape or form!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really, really LIKE this quilt - for all the odd, quirky, not so perfect (red-white contrast-y) reasons. Looking forward to more baskets (love).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this basket quilt! The little pink knots in the green squares adds the perfect touch!! A winner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like how the yellow baskets are pops of color here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It turned out really cute and the green and pink are perfect spring colors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the greens--they make those cute baskets pop--and the pink binding is just right...good job hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is just as cute as a button! It just makes me smile. And I love tied quilts! I tied everything until after my kids were born and I re-taught myself how to hand quilt. I still tie all of my graduation quilts as I feel they will get washed a lot. I think it is very unfortunate that most shows do not allow you to enter tied quilts. At least 50 percent of the antique quilts we have documented in Maine are tied. I hate to loose yet another piece of history.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, no... I have been thinking about baskets again too! But anyway, I really like the combination of the machine, hand quilting, and ties. It adds so much interest. It's a very pretty finish, and I do love all that green!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love, love, love it! The cozy, folksy feel will be so nice for the young couple to live with and USE. I am going to try some wool ties soon. I love the little balls they make.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Never tied a quilt, maybe I should try it. Lovely quilt and good that you manage to finish quilts. This year I seem to start quilts, not the plan I had, but it just happens.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Basket quilts are one of my favorite designs and these baskets are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do love how this quilt does actually sparkle in & out! Love the little pink ties too, an added pretty feature! Congrats on another finish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome finish to a fun looking quilt. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your newest finish has a sweet charm all of its own. The pinks and green are just right together and the little tuffs of yarn add another element of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I feel the same way about my creativity reins being held tight. I am determined to finish some of my previous projects though. While working on one in particular I think I've come up with a solution for a different one. Ponder time. That's what it's all about. The basket quilt is playful and will be much appreciated on a chilly night.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a fun and lovely quilt! The darker green makes the baskets pop out a little. You inspire me to try tying a quilt now. And to play with basket blocks, too. Very lucky recipients for this gift, Audrey!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Multi dimensional and just downright pretty! What a great gift for them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Super fun quilt...but that is the usual at your house!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Another finish already! I am still looking for the right quilt to tie and this make me more determined to try it - I love the idea of ties that end up as little pink balls - an extra design element not just something practical. Can't wait to see your next baskets.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great basket quilt! And I love the circles quilt in the hoop!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.